Conor McGregor made the switch to boxing for this year’s superfight against Floyd Mayweather, and now Floyd is interested in doing the same thing. UFC president Dana White told ESPN on Wednesday that Mayweather is interested in making a move to the octagon.
“We’re talking to Floyd about doing a UFC deal,” White told ESPN. “It’s real. He was talking about [boxing] Conor McGregor. Was that real? Have you heard Floyd talk about many things that aren’t real? He usually tips his hand when he’s in the media, and then that s— ends up happening.”
The possibility of Mayweather making the switch might seem unlikely, but as White says the boxer often tests the waters publicly with his comments. The lead up to the boxing match between Mayweather and McGregor was so improbable that anything seems possible now, though it’s unclear if a possible Mayweather UFC deal would result in a similar one-fight deal as a rematch, or part of something larger.
White’s comments mark the first time he’s publicly acknowledged the possibility after Mayweather spoke to Fight Hype earlier this month, saying:
“I can come right back. If I wanted to, I can come right back to the UFC. I can go fight in the Octagon. I can do a three- or four-fight deal in the Octagon and make a billion dollars. Remember, I’m Floyd ‘Money’ Mayweather.”
At 40 years old, Mayweather would be one of the oldest fighters to make his UFC debut — but there are significant hurdles. An agreement would need to be sanctioned by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, and it’s unclear whether they would allow a boxer with no mixed martial arts skills to compete in professional MMA.